Tips to sell your home
Once you have decided to put your house on the Market you begin to look at it differently. It is important to remove the rose-colored glasses and see your house as the prospective buyer will see it.
There are six key steps to giving your home a winning look:
- Keep it uncluttered: It will be neater and appear larger, giving it a more open feeling.
- Keep it clean: Gives the impression that your home has been well cared for. Fresh paint, clean surfaces give it a fresh look.
- Repair it: The need for repairs can make or break a sale, so fixing items before can save time later.
- Neutralizing: Distracting colors and personal items can make it difficult for someone else to visualize themselves there.
- Inviting: Fresh clean smells and fresh flowers make a home memorable and inviting.
- Showtime: Before you leave make a check of every room and make sure to put away any toys, clothes, food or other items that may be left out.
With these steps in mind, take a specific look at your home starting with the outside.
- Trim weeds and clean up the garden and lawns. Add fresh bark. Reseed bald spots and pet areas.
- Repair broken windows and screens. Fresh paint or clean up the doors.
- Add plants and flowers to porches and decks.
- Remove small appliances and eliminate counter top clutter.
- Clean any stains and deodorize odor areas. Sink, garbage cans etc.
- Clear off refrigerator memos, magnets and other papers.
- Remove extra toiletries and keep them out of site.
- Clean stains and mold, patch holes and caulk/grout as needed.
- Have clean decorative towels out only.
Living Room and Family Room:
- Have minimal furniture and decorative pieces out.
- Neutral Paint or wallpaper.
- Clean Carpets and deodorize.
- Open blinds and curtains to keep it light and airy.
- Minimize closets. Store extra clothing, shoes, toys etc.
- Remove wall clutter, such as posters et
- Arrange toys and other items to look appealing.
- Don't leave window uncovered, install blinds or a simple curtain.
- Clean carpets and Rugs.
- Arrange storage items neatly.
- Clean Laundry room. Sweep and clean appliances.
- Dirty Laundry needs to be kept in basket or hamper. Recommend daily washing to avoid pile-ups.
- Basement floors need to be swept or vacuumed.
- Remove Cobwebs.
- Clean windows.
- Straighten workbench and arrange tools.
- Sweep floors and clean up grease spots.
- Remove clutter items and storage to enlarge the space.
- Paint drywall and clean other wall spaces.
- Pet areas; Clean and deodorize pet kennels and bedding.
- Pet dishes should be clean or put away.
- Food stored away. (Some food has strong odor)
- Attic access in garage accessible and free of obstacles.
- Windows- clean inside and out. Check daily for smudges.
- Deck- keep minimal furniture. Fresh potted plants. Scrape and paint if needed. Tighten any lose boards or replace rotted/cracked boards.